The Blue Badge Scheme
The Blue Badge Scheme provides a range of parking concessions for people with severe mobility problems who have difficulty using public transport. Blue Badges are supplied with a clock, which must be displayed with the badge. They can only issue Blue Badges to people who are resident in Northamptonshire. The Blue Badge usually lasts for three years. You should apply to renew your badge six weeks before it is due to expire. Is there a cost? … There is a £10 administration fee. Apply for or renew a Blue Badge The assessment process may take up to six weeks following receipt of your application. Before you apply – Please check if you are eligible, see below. Individuals – You will receive a badge upon application if you can provide evidence that any of the following is true:
• You receive the higher rate of mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance
• You receive a War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
• You are registered blind
• If you have received a lump sum from the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) at tariffs 1-8 inclusive and been assessed and certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking by the Service Personnel and Veterans Agency
You may also be eligible to receive a Blue Badge in the following circumstances
• You drive a motor vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms and are unable to operate, or have considerable difficulty in operating, all or some types of parking meter
• You have a permanent and substantial disability which means you are unable to walk or have very considerable difficulty in walking. In this case we ask you more questions to help us determine whether you are eligible for a badge.
Children under three years of age
– may be eligible if the child has a condition that requires that they must always be:
• Accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around with the child without great difficulty, or
• Kept near a motor vehicle so that they can, if necessary, be treated for that condition in the vehicle or be taken quickly in the vehicle to a place where they can be treated.
How To Apply:
You can apply online and your Blue Badge will be issued by Northamptonshire County Council: www.northamptonshire.gov.uk
Help with applying online
Your local library offers a free checking service with online blue badge applications
Please remember to take your supporting evidence, including:
• Proof of identity – This can be a birth certificate / adoption certificate, valid photocard, driving licence or a passport
• Proof of address – This can be a Council Tax bill or a letter from a Benefit Agency,
the Employment Service, the Inland Revenue or a Local Authority, a bill or a bank statement dated within the last 12 months
• Proof of eligibility, for example; Evidence of receipt of Higher Rate Mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement, Document evidence of visual impairment
• A credit or debit card – if you choose to use this option
Library computers will be available for you to complete your application, but you will need to be able to use a computer mouse and keyboard to do this. If you would like help in building confidence using a computer, please talk to staff who will be happy to arrange an appointment with an IT Buddy volunteer.
Library staff will be able to take your photo for online Blue Badge applications (provided you have not already submitted the application) but they cannot take payment for you. You will need to pay online with a credit or debit card, or send your payment separately by Royal Mail.
Applying by post
Alternatively download the form from the website and return it along with the £10 fee and any supporting documents.